How to Prevent Holiday Hangover

I know, I know... another 'how to' blog, ugh...

Trust me, this one is different. First of all, it's me! Second, I have a little experience with this. So. what is a "Holiday Hangover" anyways? It is absolutely an over indulgence in holiday cheer. Just not the kind of cheer you think I'm talking about... eggnog, cranberry margaritas, nudges, or even mashed potatoes, and pie. I'm talking about the emotions generated during this time of year. 

Cheer. Joy. Happiness. Excitement. 

Now, wait a darn minute! These are all good things, right? Well, ever heard of too much of a good thing?? It's not that we get too happy, or have too much joy in our lives during the holidays; rather, we have an EXPECTATION to feel all these emotions. As adults, we are making lists and checking them twice, or 3 or 5 times. We are planning parties, shopping, doing crafts, baking, wrapping, cleaning, organizing, decorating, and spending to create this "cheer" we must have. We are not only spending money like crazy, we are spending our energy: making ourselves crazy. 

I noticed this about myself the other day. I was shopping for stocking stuffers for my teenage boys. I was getting so frustrated because one had more than the other, and I couldn't find balance. I wasn't even certain I had enough to fill them. You see, I have list of all my family and friends I'm giving gifts to, checking it often to make sure it's up to date and Mom isn't getting more than Dad. As a mom, I have set the expectation to have those stockings bursting with gifts, the tree barfing colorfully wrapped presents that are exactly what everyone wants or needs, homemade treats are waiting on the counter, the house is ready for company, and I have my shit together . I have witnessed myself 'do' all of these things over the years, I've also witness myself un-decorating the tree the morning of the 26th. Yikes! By the time my birthday, January 12th, came around... I was still stuck in recovery mode from all the holiday hype. The last thing I wanted to do was plan another party, cook, clean, or even shave my legs. 

This season I vow to be aware of how much I give. I vow to dedicate self care (in some form) time every day. I vow to be grateful for the small things, like having lunch together with my boys, or hearing how their day was as I cook dinner. I vow to breathe. I vow to make my gifts be hugs and I love you's before candles, toys, or scarves. I vow to find balance, and maintain as best I can. I vow to give my heart and soul to my family and friends, and myself. 

Now, some of you may not relate; and that is perfectly fine. Maybe you have a friend or relative or coworker who exhausts themselves 'doing' too much and you can be their inspiration to take time outs, to lead from the heart and prioritize recharging their batteries high on the list. It's just like drinking water when you're out there partying like a rockstar... Be the rockstar of your life so you can ROCK ON!! 


Happy Holidays!
Krista Lee


Om

Popular posts from this blog

In the middle

Slowing down

I am human